Friday, May 27, 2011

Eatin' Fred

Sorry I’m behind in my posts peeps, I’ve been a busy lady. After all that basement work, my poor home and yard have needed some tender lovin’ care. Today I have a very simple recipe to share with you. I’ve thought a lot about this and I’m not sure if you can even call this a “recipe”.  I am actually just going to tell you a bunch of stuff that is yummy in a pan together. You can add to or take away from it to make your own yummy goodness.

This is Fred. Why is it Fred? I have no idea. Fred is just what my Mom calls it so that is what I call it. This could be a unique name to my family or millions of people around the world may call it Fred. I have no idea. Fred sure does taste yummy though!
Hello Fred:

·         Cabbage (I recommend slicing up as much as you can fit in the skillet with all the other ingredients)
·         Onions sliced or diced it’s up to your preference
·         Potatoes again, slice or dice (I don’t like taters in my Fred, but my sister loves them, again your preference)
·         Dice smoked sausage, kielbasa, turkey sausage, brat wurst (basically some kind of yummy sausage/meat product that comes in a long snake form) I buy whichever is on sale
·         Oil
·         Salt and pepper
Ok, coat your skillet, large or small, with a thin layer of oil and throw in your potatoes if you are going to add them. Cook those for a few minutes alone since they need a longer cooking time. Then add all of the other ingredients and cook until they are nice and browned. If Fred starts to stick to the pan or looks parched, just add a ¼ cup of water and scrape him up. Poor Fred, we’re goin’ cook him good!
I have been creative with Fred. I have had an abundance of cabbage these last 2 weeks so I have eaten Fred a lot, and no, I’m not sick of him yet. I would eat him today if I had more cabbage. Anywho, I have cut up chard and added that to Fred. I’ve also added fresh spinach. I imagine that any number of different things could be added to this dish to make it yummy. My sister, #3, says that carrots are also excellent in Fred.
What makes Fred so delicious? The flavors in the pan all meld together. The cabbage soaks up the meat flavor. Wow this makes me hungry and it’s 8:30 am. Fred is easy to make and yummers to eat.  Cook up ol’Fred and give him a try! Leave a comment if you get to try him and tell me what you added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments peeps, but make them nice or I'll delete!