Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stawberry Bread

I think I promised a recipe for strawberry bread.  I got the recipe from allrecipe.com my favorite site for recipes. If you’ve never been there check it out. My favorite part is the reviews because they give you so many ideas on ways to change the recipe for your liking. No, I was not paid to say that either. Click here to see the original. Here goes:
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ vegetable oil
  • ¾ unsweetened applesauce
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans (optional but yummy)
Slice the strawberries, sprinkle with sugar (not the 2 cups just some extra) and set aside. Heat oven to 350 and grease two 9 x5 pans. Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Slightly beat the eggs and add them to the strawberries along with the oil and applesauce. Mix it all together, add the nuts and pour into the pans. Cook 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes (or more) and then cool on a rack until completely cool.
 
The original recipe called for 1 ¼ cup of oil. I changed that to the applesauce supplement. The next time I make this recipe I will try it with all applesauce and no oil. Applesauce does make for dense, moist bread. Try it and see what works best for you. Some people like to add more strawberries and some people like to crush a portion of the berries before adding them to the mix. That just sounds like extra work to me!
This really is a yummy dessert or breakfast bread. Serve warm or cold, with whip cream, cream cheese or vanilla ice cream. It freezes well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments peeps, but make them nice or I'll delete!