Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Garden Is Planted

{Sigh}  I had to re-till and re-plant my garden, Can you say frustrating? The very day that I planted my first round of vegetables we had the worst flooding that my county had seen in years. As you can imagine, all the seeds either rotted or washed away. Soooo, I did it again. I planted zuchini, onions, green beans, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and a strawberry patch with 1 lonely blackberry bush on the fringe. I didn't take a picture of the strawberry patch yet, it just needs more work to be what I envision.


I also planted a small herb garden in an old sand box. The problem with my poor herb garden is that my crazy little dog escaped and dug in the lady bug sand box. There are a lot of little plants growing in it but I don't know what is what now! I had a little map of where I planted everything, but now it is a mish-mash of different little sprouts shooting up, and the only one I can recognize is the chives! We'll wait and see...


One more important note, is that I am trying an experiment that one of my good friends told me about. Well, it's new to me, apparently lots of folks do this, I planted my potato plants in an old trash can. You just drill holes in the bottom to allow for drainage, then you put in some dirt, add your seed potatoes and then bury them. As they grow about a foot you recover the bottom part of the plant. Then you just keep doing that until harvest time. I started this little experiment about a month ago and thought that it was a total bomb but holy moly it worked! I'm so excited! Here is the site that I got the instructions from Heavenly Homemakers. By the way, I love this site!


I still have to decide if I will plant corn, it is so much work for such a small yield. Oh and I have one lonely blueberry bush that I have to either return to the store or buy a friend to keep him company. I try to be careful when buying plants to read the instructions, but I totally missed the label that said, "this plant needs another plant to cross polinate." Duh, what a goober I am. I'll let you know what I decide about the corn and the lonely blueberry bush. I love spring!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the trash can idea!

    Thanks for participating in our Frugal Gardening 101 series! I hope you'll include a link here so your readers can join the fun.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments peeps, but make them nice or I'll delete!