Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why I Don't Homeschool

OK, you need to understand that I am humbled by folks that Homeschool. I am envious of their ability to committ and give their kids the best they've got. Why don't I take the leap? I can't even lose the weight that I've been packing on for 10 years how can I believe that I will not completely screw my kids up?

They need a schedule, they need books, discipline or some kind of game plan. I just can't go there yet. I have come to believe (recently) that the school system is not there to torture me or take my kids away. I need to work with them. I pay taxes so I should have some say in how they teach my child right? I have figured out that if something is bothering, talk about it. That's what you do in a marriage so let's apply that theory to the school system.

I refuse to let the school rear my child. I talk to him, "What did you do today?", "How'd that make you feel?' yada, yada, yada. Get it? I ask what went on and try to direct him in the Christian way to handle situations. I understand that one of the arguments for homeschooling is that we never used to put children in a peer group  for so many hours a day and asked them the socialize. I agree with that on the one hand, on the other I say this...I want my kids to relate to the problems of other kids their own age. I want them to learn compassion and also when is the right time to stand up for themselves. This world is mean and ugly sometimes; they must learn to deal with issues young, because they only get harder with age.

All this being said, if you homeschool, wow, I am truly in awe of you. I say that with all sincerity. Maybe some day I will take that leap of faith in myself, for now though, my #2 child starts kindergarten in the fall
Dum, dum, dum, duuummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments peeps, but make them nice or I'll delete!