Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dealing With a Chronic Illness

Since I was 15 years old I have had a problem. At 17 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Now, I don't want to give you a lot of gory details but lets just say it is a bowel disease and there is bleeding involved, if you need more info, Google it please. I've lived with this for 18 years now. There is not a lot of treatment out there for my condition. Basically medication, some people have success with exercise or dietary changes, but really, Dr.s don't have a lot to help except surgery, I am so not going there.

Anyway, I pretty much have a constant condition that is gross, embarassing, uncomfortable and scary. I've always had to be aware of bathrooms and their location to me. It has always affected me in social situations. Slumber parties as a teen were really interesting. I think of it as "normal". I don't like taking the medicine (because I am CHEAP!). Usually I am in a "flare up". You can imangine how tired you get when your losing blood constantly. Sometimes you just have to rest. The chores will wait, trust me, no one else around here is going to sweep!

But here is the thing, I am living with this disease, living. I don't let it stop me from doing what I want to do. I go where I want, when I want. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have actually let my little friend keep me from living. It helps that I have a sweet, loving, adoring, fantabulousa Hubby, who will run interference for me as needed. I've asked God to heal me and that was a negativo. This is my life quirk, and I'm ok with that. I try to take care of myself  as far as Dr. visits and medication, at least that is true in the last 3 or 4 years. I'm going to a new Dr. tomorrow so...well, it probably won't mean a thing but I'm ok with that.

I have friends who litterally cannot get out of bed in the morning. When you get right down to it, my life is beautiful. Bathroom time is a little odd, but other than that, I have it made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments peeps, but make them nice or I'll delete!